The San Francisco 49ers’ Reuben Foster has been suspended for the first two games of the 2018 regular season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.
The violations stem from a weapons offense and a misdemeanor drug offense, both of which were resolved during the offseason.
Foster pleaded no contest to the weapon charge, while the drug charge was dismissed after Foster completed a diversion program.
49ers GM John Lynch did say that the team will continue to support its 2017 first-round draft pick despite violating the league’s policy.
“Although we are disappointed that Reuben will not be with our team for the first two games of the season, we will continue to work with him on making better decisions and eliminating unnecessary distractions,” Lynch said. “We are encouraged to see Reuben take responsibility for his mistakes, and hopeful that he has learned from them as well.”
As for Foster, he held himself accountable for the suspension.
“I accept the league’s decision and am sorry that my mistakes have hurt my team,” Foster said in the release. “I have a responsibility to the 49ers, our fans, and our community, and I am committed to learning from this situation and making better choices in the future.”
Unfortunately, Reuben Foster’s time in the league has been plagued with controversy. He was sent home from last year’s combine after reportedly threatening a hospital worker and failed a drug test due to a diluted sample. Both incidents contributed to Foster’s fall on draft day to the 49ers at No. 31 overall.
Foster will miss the games against the Minnesota Vikings and Detroit Lions, and he is eligible to return to the active roster on Sept. 17.